Saturday, September 09, 2006

Elections aren't free

This letter to the editor appeared in the Spokesman Review on September 9, 2006.

What a stupid and wasteful plan - mailing everyone three ballots (at least they are all in English) and having everyone throw away two! Who decided on this one-party primary?

I never have and will not vote along party lines! And, I'm quite sure there are many more voters who feel the same way. Communist countries do the same thing – they put one or two names on the ballots and call it a "free" election. A free election would be to let people choose who they want to vote for, in any party!

I have voted in every election in this state since I was old enough to vote (except for in the 12 years I lived in Alaska) and have been able to vote for the person of my choice, no matter what party they were in!

Now, Washington State (and too many other states) has taken away another freedom. I hate this and will work to change it. Our "party" legislators do not have the right to take away this freedom. Let's get it back!

G. Scott Hendricks, Spokane

No comments: